Location: Raleigh or Remote
Learn More: https://careers.ibm.com/job/14018397/ux-researcher-remote/?codes=IBM_CareerWebSite
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM, the role of marketing technology is to connect our data systems to communications that engage prospects & existing clients – on the right channel at the right time. Our team oversees the programs and internal platforms that enable this and partners with marketing, sales, and analytics to plan and iterate on them. This role is part of the UX Research team within the Products & Platforms team serving under the CTO, Marketing Technologies.
In this role, you will work closely with a team of designers, product owners, and architects to research and inform the path for the software used by Marketing teams. As a UX Researcher, you will have the opportunity to employ the wide range of research methodologies including field research, remote usability studies, moderated and unmoderated design testing, and survey research.
You will be expected to contribute new methods, patterns and practices to the internal and external UX Research communities. The successful candidate will need to think strategically, have strong research skills, and be able to target and present research findings to different audiences. You will need to be able to juggle multiple deliverables – from quick tests to longitudinal studies, fitting within an agile development schedule.
Additionally, you will need to be detail-oriented and thorough in your approach to the research protocol, but flexible enough to work within time and product constrains. Most importantly, you will need to be a passionate advocate for users and able to demonstrate how User Research leads to measurable business value.
This position will lead or contribute to the following:
- Create artifacts which enable user empathy. This includes reviewing existing research, creating personas and user journeys, creating journey maps, and identifying the most salient pain points for the support tool.
- Collaborate with design, product leadership, and development to iteratively create, show, and assess new design solutions that address the most salient pain points or unmet user needs.
- Evaluate existing designs/live experiences at a point in time using industry standard research techniques and establish baselines for benchmarking the UX over time to track improvements.
- Reuse existing listening channels such as embedded feedback and intercept methodologies to maintain the pulse and user sentiment and combine that understanding with knowledge of user behavior and business outcomes to draw data-driven conclusions and recommendations.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Knowledgeable and have experience using qualitative and quantitative UX research methods, gathering both attitudinal and behavioral data
- Experience applying the most common UX research methods, including (but not limited to) usability testing, surveys, focus group moderation, interviewing, persona creation, heuristic evaluation, and Design Thinking
- Experience creating prioritized actionable insights derived from user research and showing a path of change as a result
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams and collaborating with stakeholders at various levels across an organization
- Ability to clearly communicate findings and insights to stakeholders
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and work in an agile manner
- Ability to apply UX research approaches throughout the product lifecycle
- Demonstrate a pattern of personal professional growth and contribution to the discipline both internally and externally
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Graduate degree in HCI, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Psychology, Experimental Psychology, Design, or related.