Company: Purpose UX
Location: Durham, NC (or remote)
Learn More: https://www.purposeux.com/2233-2/
User Experience Designer (remote)
About Purpose UX
We are a design studio located in Durham, NC that handles user experience design from upfront discovery research to high-fidelity prototyping. We specialize in web and mobile products that solve challenging business problems.
Recent projects of ours have included:
- Defining MVP features and creating an interactive prototype for a startup product that enables the creation of compelling marketing videos for entrepreneurs without video editing capabilities
- Conducting research, designing the interface, and aiding with implementation of a reporting system for sustainable green building practices for a major international brand
- Auditing, doing content strategy, then completing a total redesign of the public-facing health information website for a major US city
What You’ll Be Doing
Our immediate need is for someone to step in and help us handle our existing client work. You’ll start learning our design system and collaborating or pair-designing on an existing project, directly reporting to one of our founding designers. Within 3 months, we’d like you to be taking the lead on a new project - handling design reviews, client communication, and design work. At 6 months, we’d like you to be contributing to our internal design system and helping us improve our discovery and design process - this is the point where we would like to shift from an hourly contract role to a full-time salaried position with benefits.
If you like varied work, enjoy engaging in a broad range of design activities, and would benefit from working closely with a small team (you would be employee #4), please get in touch with us. If you need an environment with well-structured roles where you can focus entirely on one project or specialize in a single aspect of the design process, this role may not be a good fit for you.
- Proficiency in Figma OR proficiency in Sketch, Adobe XD, etc. and willingness to learn Figma
- Experience with wireframing, prototyping, and screen design
- Case study or portfolio with an explanation of your direct contributions and design process (does not have to be publicly shared)
- At least 2 years of experience as a professional designer
- Agency or freelance experience
- Experience presenting designs and articulating design decisions to clients
- Experience conducting contextual inquiry, customer interviews, and usability tests
- Experience facilitating workshops or discovery activities
- Ability to learn new contexts and work on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to manage own workload and help define work priorities
- Basic understanding of Figma’s Auto-layout feature
How to Apply
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive and collaborative work environment. We can support designers at different experience levels - please apply if this looks like the type of position you are looking for, even if you do not have all the preferred qualifications.
To apply, send your resume and a link to your portfolio (if you have a public one) to email@example.com.