We met Wednesday, 2/22 at 6pm in the offices of Motricity. Rick Cecil, interim vice-president of the Triangle UPA chapter convened the meeting and introduced the elections.
Four officers ran unopposed and were elected without dissent:
- Rick Cecil (Motricity): President
Responsibilities: overall direction; project management; events.
- Abe Crystal (SILS): Vice President
Responsibilities: Website and blog.
- Janey Barnes (user-view): Treasurer
Responsibilities: membership and financial management; incorporation.
- Gershom Rogers (Cisco/SILS): Secretary
Responsibilities: mentoring program.
Our fearless leader, and newly installed president, Rick, then provided an overview of the chapter's goals and initiatives.
The chapter will focus on building and supporting the local community of practitioners in these disciplines:
- Usability Testing
- User Research
- Interaction Design
- Information Architecture
Specific initiatives will include:
- Events planning. The core activity of the chapter is holding great events to bring people in the community together, and disseminate information and practices related to user experience work. Events may include:
- Recruiting more members and volunteers, and recognizing volunteers for their hard work.
- Making 1:1 connections between professional peers.
- Setting up mentoring relationships between professionals and students.
- Informing the community. Building a great Website and blog to keep our members up-to-date, and reach out to new members.
- Public relations. Getting the word out on user experience and its importance.
- Cross-organization collaboration. Working with related organizations across the Triangle, e.g., CED.
We welcome your feedback and participation as we continue to build the chapter and our community. Please comment on this post, or get in touch with any of the officers, with your questions and comments.