Company: North Carolina State University
Located: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Jere Confrey firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn More & Apply: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/search
Visual Designer (UI/UX), North Carolina State University
Position number 00104288
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references along with their online application.
To submit an application, navigate to https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/search, then select “131301-Sci, Tech, Engr & Math (STEM) from “Department” pull-down menu, and select the “Search” button. In the resulting “Search Results” panel, select the “Visual Designer” position. The full position description will be displayedundefinedfrom that, select “Apply to this Job.”
Anticipated Salary Range: $42,593 - $92,000, commensurate with experience
Job in Raleigh, NC
Essential Job Duties:
Dr. Jere Confrey (email@example.com) is forming a team of researchers to conduct research on student mathematics learning and on the design and implementation of diagnostic apps for mathematics learning, in the context of the CCSS-M and relational learning clusters. The team includes math educators, teacher/outreach coordinators, a visual designer, software engineer, and a psychometrician. The goal is to forge a new kind of interface between the Academy and an entrepreneurial environment.
The Visual Designer is primarily responsible for inventing visual ways to assist learners in moving around in a conceptual space, making choices, and seeing progress within personalized learning contexts. S/He will be defining, together with the engineer, the information architecture and web interaction, and be primarily responsible for the polished user interface of our product across multiple devices and screen sizes. An advocate for user-centered design, this individual has a unique talent for inspiring the teams with cutting edge UI patterns and innovations. The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly collaborative environment, be eager to apply Agile and Lean UX techniques while working alongside software Engineers, assessment and domain specialists, to designing innovative solutions with rich visual elements. The successful candidate will perform the following duties:
• Act as the creative lead for the visual elements of the product
• Conduct user research to understand user needs & requirements, and to validate design decisions
• Work with stakeholders to help refine user requirements, create wireframes, and inform the visual design of web and mobile applications
• Create user interface implementation specs for the team (UI Specifications)
• Partner with engineers during development sprints to iterate on design
• Meet complex design challenges with interface solutions with other team members
• Work closely with back-end developers to ensure that products are being implemented to spec, and to find ways to push the limits of existing technologies
• Other duties as assigned by group leader and project supervisor(s)
• Other special projects as assigned
Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline and one year of experience in the information technology field related to the area of assignment; or bachelor’s degree and one year of experience in the information technology field related to the area of assignment; or bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
(All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.).
Departmental Required Skills:
• Previous design experience in UI solutions for mobile and/or web products
• Demonstrated previous experience of interaction and visual design
• Experience with storyboarding, user persona development, designing user/process flow diagrams, sketches, wireframes, click-through demos, or prototypes, or a combination thereof
• Proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, OmniGraffle, Balsamiq, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. or some combination
• Intermediate understanding of HTML/CSS, with direct experience optimizing design concepts around these technologies
• Understanding of user research activities, such as interviews and usability testing, and their role in informing design decisions
• Previous visual and graphic design experience with an emphasis on user experience and interactive design
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or Interaction Design, related field or equivalent work experience required
• Web-based portfolio demonstrating outstanding interaction and visual design
• Knowledge of Agile methodologies and experience working in a highly collaborative, agile environment
• Strong application design skills, including information architecture, interface design and visual design
• Ability to understand and interpret existing site design, mobile design, and style guides to inform your work
• Minimum 2–5 years’ design experience in UI solutions for mobile and/or web products
• Advanced proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, OmniGraffle, Balsamiq, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. or some combination
• Minimum of 2 years previous visual and graphic design experience with an emphasis on user experience and interactive design
• Strong technical aptitude, product common sense, and curiosity combined with a genuine love for products, people, and user experience
• Highly collaborative, ability to perform in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
AA/EOE: NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability. In addition, NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148. Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.